Postdoc position in theoretical cosmology and gravitation
The theoretical high-energy physics and astrophysics group of the Department of Physics at the Southern University of Science and Technology (SUSTech) in Shenzhen, China, invites applications for a postdoctoral position with starting date in the summer or autumn of 2022.
The group comprises three faculty members and several research associates, postdocs and students, with research interests in the areas of theoretical cosmology, modified gravity, quantum gravity, quantum field theory and theoretical astrophysics.
The successful candidate will join the team of Prof. Garcia-Saenz and will pursue research in the subjects of cosmology and alternative theories of gravity. They will also be encouraged to interact with the other members of the group as well as to develop an independent research program.
Prof. Garcia-Saenz Introduction
Sebastian Garcia-Saenz is a theoretical cosmologist whose research covers a wide rangeof topics in early-universe physics, gravitation, particle astrophysics and high-energyphysics. He is particularly interested in developing new approaches to the dark energyproblem as well as new paradigms of cosmic inflation. He graduated from Columbia University, USA. Sebastian used to worke as a research associate (2019-2021) at Imperoal College london,UK. Right now , he is an assistant professor at SUSTech, China.
Honors & awards :
1. Young Scientist Fellowship (2021), Institute for Basic Science, Korea (declined)
2. JSPS International Fellowship (2019), Yukawa Institute for Theoretical Physics, Japan(declined)
3. Allan M. Sachs Teaching Award (2016), Columbia University, USA
4. Joseph C. Pfister fellowship (2014), Columbia University, USA
Selected publications :
1. S. Garcia-Saenz, A. Held, J. Zhang, “Destabilization of black holes and stars bygeneralized Proca fields,” Phys. Rev. Lett. 127 (2021), 131104
2. S. Garcia-Saenz, L. Pinol, S. Renaux-Petel, “Revisiting non-Gaussianity in multifieldinflation with curved field space”, JHEP 2001 (2020) 073
3. N. Boulanger, C. Deffayet, S. Garcia-Saenz, L. Traina, “Theory for multiple partiallymassless spin-2 fields”, Phys. Rev. D 100 (2019), 101701(R)
4. J. Fumagalli, S. Garcia-Saenz, L. Pinol, S. Renaux-Petel, J. Ronayne, “Hyper nonGaussianities in inflation with strongly non-geodesic motion”, Phys. Rev. Lett. 123 (2019),201302
5. S. Garcia-Saenz, K. Hinterbichler, R. A. Rosen, “Supersymmetric Partially Massless Fieldsand Non-Unitary Superconformal Representations,” JHEP 1811 (2018) 166
6. S. Garcia-Saenz, S. Renaux-Petel, J. Ronayne, “Primordial fluctuations and nonGaussianities in sidetracked inflation,” JCAP 1807 (2018) 057
7. A. Esposito, S. Garcia-Saenz, A. Nicolis, R. Penco, “Conformal solids and holography,”JHEP 1712 (2017) 113
8. S. Garcia-Saenz, R. A. Rosen, “A nonlinear extension of the spin-2 partially masslesssymmetry,” JHEP 1505 (2015) 042
The position is for 2 years, with the possibility of an extension subject to performance and the availability of funding. Applicants should have a PhD in physics or related fields by the time of commencement. They are required to submit a CV (including list of publications), a brief research statement and to arrange for three reference letters to be sent to the email address below.
Applications from both Chinese and overseas candidates are welcome. Successful overseas applicants will receive support from the university in their visa application.
Review of applications will start on January 10, 2022. Applications submitted after this date may be considered provided the position remains vacant.
Application materials and inquiries should be sent via email to Prof. Sebastian Garcia-Saenz: