Professor Wenqing Zhang is a professor in Physics and Materials Science, with BSc/MSc degrees from Xiamen University and Ph.D. degree from Shanghai Institute of Optics and Fine Mechanics, Chinese Academy of Sciences. Prof. Zhang has worked in FHI in German, and Harvard University, Princeton University, and UCSB in America. He joined the faculty of Institute of Ceramics, CAS at the special CAS "one-hundred-talent plan" in 2003, and moved to SUSTech as a full professor in 2017. Prof. Zhang’s research interests cover energy conversion and storage materials including thermoelectrics, catalysis and Li battery materials, computational materials science, and interface-related phenomena in functional materials. Dr. Zhang was elected as an APS Fellow due to his pioneering work in thermoelectric material design and computational materials science in 2013.
1992 Ph. D., Physics, Shanghai Institute of Optics and Fine Mechanics, Chinese Academy of Sciences, China
1989 M. S., physics, Xiamen University, China
1986 B. S., physics, Xiamen University, China
2017 - Present, Professor, Southern University of Science and Technology
2013 - 2017, Professor, Material Genome Institute, Shanghai University
2003 - 2013, Professor, Group Leader, Deputy Director of the State Key Laboratory of High Performance Ceramics and Superfine Microstructures, Shanghai Institute of Ceramics, Chinese Academy of Sciences, Shanghai 200050, China
2004 - 2005, Visiting Professor, Institute for Metal Research, Max-PlanckGesellschaft, Stuttgart, Germany
1997 - 2003, Research staff, Physics and Physical Chemistry Department, General Motors R&D, Warren, Michigan, USA
2002 - 2003, Research Faculty, Materials Department, University of California, Santa Barbara, Santa Barbara, CA 93106
2000 - 2002, Research Staff, Princeton Materials Institute, Princeton University, Princeton, NJ 0854
1997 - 1999, Research Associate Fellowship, Division of Engineering and Applied Sciences, Harvard University, Cambridge, MA 02138
1997, Visiting Scientist, Theory Department, Fritz-Haber-Institut der Max-Planck-Gesellschaft, Berlin-Dahlem, Germany
1995-1997, Associate Professor, Institute of Applied Physics, Beijing University of Science & Technology, China
1993-1995, Postdoctoral Researcher, Institute of Physics, Chinese Academy of Science, China (Supervisor: Professor Dingsheng Wang)
Exceptional Young Scientist Foundation Award from NSFC
The State Natural Science Award (2nd rank)
Invited Reviews and Book Chapters
5. J. Yang, L. Xi, W. Zhang, L.D. Chen, D. Wang, and Z.G. Shuai, “Band Engineering and Design of Thermoelectric Materials”, Modeling and Simulation of Materials at Nanoscale, Eds. Z. Shuai, and K. Xia, (Beijing, Scientific publisher, 2013) ;杨炯，席丽丽， 张文清，陈立东，王冬，帅志刚，“基于理论计算的能带调控及热电材料设计”，纳米结构与性能的理论计算及模拟，帅志刚，夏钶等著，北京，科学出版社，2013.
4. L.D. Chen, Z. Xiong, R.H. Liu, W. Zhang, “Bulk Nanocomposites of Thermoelectric Materials”, Materials, Preparation, and Characterization in Thermoelectrics, Edited by D. M. Rowe, CRC Press, 2012.
3. J. Yang, X. Shi, W. Zhang, L.D. Chen, J. Yang, “Ab Initio-Based Band Engineering and Rational Design of Thermoelectric Materials”, Materials, Preparation, and Characterization in Thermoelectrics, Edited by D. M. Rowe, CRC Press, 2012.
2. X. Shi, S.Q. Bai, L. Xi, J. Yang, W. Zhang, L,D. Chen, J. Yang, “Realization of high thermoelectric performance in n-type partially filled skutterudites”, J. Mater. Res., 26 (2011) 1745-1755
1. L.L.Xi, J. Yang, X. Shi, W. Zhang, L.D. Chen and J.H. Yang, “Filled skutterudites:from single to multiple filling”, Scientia Sinica Physica, 41 (2011), 706-728. (席丽丽，杨炯，史迅， 张文清，陈立东，杨继辉，“填充方钴矿热电材料：从单填到多填”，中国科学， 41(6) (2011) 706-728)
Refereed Journal （ Until March, 2015）
10. L. Xi, Y. Qiu, S. Zheng, X. Shi, J. Yang, L. Chen, D. J. Singh, J. Yang, W. Zhang, "Complex doping of group 13 elements In and Ga in caged skutterudite CoSb3." Acta Mater. 85, 112-121(2015).
9. S. Wang , J. Yang , L. Wu , P. Wei ,J. Yang , W. Zhang , Y. Grin, “Anisotropic
multicenter bonding and high thermoelectric performance in electron-poor CdSb”,
Chem. Mater. (2015) DOI: 10.1021/cm504398d.
8. J. Zhu, X. Ren, J. Liu, W. Zhang, and Z. Wen, “Unraveling the Catalytic Mechanism of Co3O4 for the Oxygen Evolution Reaction in a Li–O2 Battery”, ACS Catal., 5 (1), 73–81 (2015).
7. W. Qiu, L. Xi, P. Wei, X. Ke, J. Yang, and W. Zhang, “Part-Crystalline Part-Liquid State and Rattling-Like Thermal Damping in Materials with Chemical-Bond Hierarchy”, PNAS, 111, 15031-15035 (2014).
6. J. Zhang, R. Liu, N. Cheng, Y. Zhang, J. Yang, C. Uher, X. Shi, L. Chen, and W. Zhang, “High-Performance Pseudocubic Thermoelectric Materials from Non-Cubic Chalcopyrite Compounds”, Adv. Mater., 26, 3848-3853(2014).
5. Y. Liang, X. Yuan, Y. Gao, W. Zhang, P. Zhang, “Phonon-Assisted Crossover from a Nonmagnetic Peierls Insulator to a Magnetic Stoner Metal”, Phys. Rev. Lett., 113 176401(2014).